Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Theme Chosen: Metamorphosis

I did a lot of research this morning and have so far condensed my theme to metamorphosis, I think. Still unsure if I just want to talk about the theme in general or get more specific as to what type of metamorphosis. The next step to my theme is to research other artists who deal with it already. "No need to reinvent the wheel," as all the teachers say. To begin I just typed metamorphosis into google images...I got M.C. Escher, whom I love but had totally forgotten he dealt with this topic. Here are some examples of his work that I will use to refer to....














Escher uses positive and negative in his works...hopefully I can bring that idea into my own work.





"Metamorphosis" by Judy Prosser(below)







Her great respect for the aboriginal people, and their spiritual connection to the land, has given Judy a direction which has evolved into a distinctive approach to painting them. Her watercolours often depict figures dancing freely in the Australian landscape, along with brolgas, dingos and other animals.

I just like this artist statement....by VIVI - Vivian Ginsberg Smith  I'm drawn to spherical forms, inspired by plant and animal life. I'm constantly inspired by the connection between nature and humanity. My spherical sculptures recreate the womb, a container for life. Growing up the oldest of five siblings, and mothering my family of eight, with seven grown and one almost out of the nest, nurturing new life and watching it grow is a deeply abiding and profound experience for me, which I express through my art. 
Her piece is titled "Metamorphosis Triptych" in case you were wondering how this relates. 


Here is another great artist, Octavio Ocampo. One can say he dealt with metamorphosis. It is more the trick of the eye sort of detail but very similiar in definition...you have to look at his works carefully to see them morph into something else. 

"I am fascinated by the forces of Good and Evil and the Sun (male) and the Moon (female). I live in Tepoztlan, which is a mountainous region southwest of Mexico City and is considered to be one of the most magical places on earth. Like the Bermuda Triangle, there is a strange and unexplained but extremely powerful, confluence of magnetic forces seemingly concentrated in the Tepozteco Mountain."

















How has art influenced your philosophy in life?
I've had artistic talent since I was a child because I was always surrounded by art. I had the capability of piecing two different elements that would look like one flowing piece and then in detail they were individual pieces. I studied plastic arts in the city of Celaya, Mexico, and then I attended the School of Painting and Sculpture in Bellas Artes, Mexico. Later, I took some courses at the Art Institute of San Francisco, California. I used to paint figurative images that were most realistic in detail and frequently had the effect of double imagery in the same place. At the age of 33, I dedicated full time to paint and decided that my style would be what I call "Metamorphic" because when you look at my painting they transform from one image to another. My philosophy is that we live in various universes that are parallel to each other so I showcase that on my paintings. And since I am a Pisces, I feel like it's natural to me. I love to study the relations of the universe and philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment